Monday, December 27, 2010

Holidays In the Tropics

Fireworks. Food. Heat. Humidity.
HOLDIAYS IN SURINAME!


This is the third Chirstmas spent in the warmth of Suriname.
This year I moved into a cute little house in the city - luckily still under a huge mango tree. The part of town I live, really is enjoying this time of year. The last few evening have been spend watching firework displays - so close the it sounds like we are under siege!

Monks the Chirstmas Monkey is now part of the family! I simply adore this little guy, and for the last couple of days we have been getting to know each other. I've discovered his love of cucumbers and cashews!

(he's definitely got personality!)

The Holland crew has made their arrive for the holidays. It's been an exciting last few weeks, full of adventures, laugher and as always - FOOD! Christmas this year included over 30 people seated together at one long table, outside under the canopy of twinkle lights. Everyone brought something to share - and we ate and ate! There was a theme this year 'the Suriname Flag'. Everyone was to dress in the colors of the Suriname Flag (Red, Green, Yellow, White) It was as fun as it sounds! I wore my Suriname belt, flip-flops and white/red tank top. Raoul cooked cow stomach (not kidding) and I contibuted 40 deviled eggs to the party.

Kendila is in town, and has promised to visit and cook with me. I'm looking forward to this! She makes one mean ginger beer! I'm make sure to take some photos of this event!

Wished my friends in Wan Hati Switi Kristneti - they all are doing well! Sa and Corvina are both pregnant!! I'm so looking forward to visiting them and seeing the new babies!

Gabbie's birthday was December 1st - she turned 9 yrs old. I can't even believe it. When I first met that girl she was just 6. Where has the time gone? I miss seeing her and the rest of the crew. It's truly amazing how fast the time goes - looking forward to seeing them again soon!

I do really miss home this season. My family all got together at Nina and Kevin's to celebrate Alex's first Christmas. I wasn't able to call early enough to catch them all together, but talking with Nina, Suzy and Dad, really made me 'hungry' to be home. Next year we will be together.

Trisha will make her second visit to Suriname on Wendsday! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing her and I'm sure we'll chat the days away! She'll be here for End of Year, and I promise it will be like no other she's experienced!

Here's to a Bright, Happy and Safe New Year! xoxo

No comments: