Saturday, May 31, 2008

It's time for the next chapter

So tomorrow bright and early we head off to our homestays!

I'm nervous. I will be staying in a small village across the river from where we will be meeting once a week as a group. Far away from everyone, with a new family and lifestyle. I will have a host mom, dad and five new sisters and brothers in my new home. I just repacked everything (again) and feel slightly under prepared. Netting and hammock and making sure to pack my 'piss pot'...yup. How do you really prepare for this, ya know?

I hope you guys will practice your penmanship and write me often! I will not have computer access for at least the next month. Send pictures too guys! The address is the Peace Corps office in Suriname - Attention: Mariah Klekner (I don't know it off the top of my head, but I'm sure you guys can figure it out!)

Just throwing this out there - there is no Big Red or Flare gum here. It's all tropcial flavors ;) Also I've been craving a cup of strong tea. The coffee here is instant, and I've adjusted okay to that...not the place to be a coffee snob ;)

Soon I will be learning to catch and gut fish (kill and pluck chicken also....if I wanted) cook on a wood fire (build a wood fire) construct and row a dugout cannoe, thatch a hut roof, wash everything PROPERLY in the river, including myself....I'm going into a traditional home, so all the pagan rituals will be practiced, I'm looking forward to that definitely! Garden and planting (Nina, my perm cite is huge on growing watermelon!! I totally thought of you!) eggplant, and peppers, coconuts, pineapples....and things I have no idea what to call or prepare. I'm excited to learn to cook here. Also plucking fruit straight off the tree is such a treat! The land will fast become my provider (and my toliet!) What a grand adventure! ;)

Okay...I'm still nervous!! All my love to you guys - and I look forward to getting your letters!

xoxoxo - muah!

2 comments:

Ilya said...

Hey everyone (and Mariah if you want to post this elsewhere in your blog people may be more likely to see it), I found your mailing address:

Peace Corp/Suriname
Mariah Klekner
P.O. Box 9500
Paramaribo-Zuid, Suriname
South America

Big B said...

Bunny I can't wait to hear about the Pagan rituals! And, I'll work on the Big Red. I know how much it means to you:) It was great talking to you Sunday.I look forward to the next call.

Love,
BB