Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wan Hati

We just washed our clothes (one bucket with soap - one without) in the front of our rooms - the sun is hot today, and I'm changing colors!

We got our CITE LOCATIONS TODAY!

Wan Hati- it's an Aucan village located approximately 200 km South of Paramaribo. It's at the Cottica River in the District of Marowujni. The travel time to and from Wan Hati and Paramaribo is approximately 3-4 hours by van or bus or boat. It's a traditional village, which can be recognized by their landing jetty along the river with an 'entrance' made up of hanging palm leaves that serve to protect the village from evil spirits from the outside. The village has a traditional meeting place, a central sacrificial area (whoo....ee) and a special hut (Moon Hut) where the local women have to stay a few days during thier monthly period. Maroons typically live in complex societies and thier economies are diverse, typically featuring some combination of the following: agriculture, mining, hunting, fishing, trading and woodcarving. There is no running water - and electricity system operates through a generator daily between 7p,-11pm. The village consists of approximately 300 people and is managed by a Dorpsbeturr (village management) actually headed by a captian.

So there it is! Eco-tourism - developing the gardens (flowers, fruit, veggies) that the women have been tending to turn into a tourist attraction as well as conservation. I will have my job assignment in more full details tomorrow.

YESTERDAY we started the day with a health class about all the 'great' things that happen in the Hinderland. (Interior) You don't even want me to begin to list the great bugs, spiders, snakes, cats, bats....that will be surounding us! :) We also had a 'girl' hour to go over the expectations of women in the tribes. The Moon Hut and washing our 'facie' also men tend to have more then one wife/girlfriend. Doc came again today with more 411 on health. It's beginning to overwhelm.

Jeff and I were talking about it - 'here's all the bugs,(stuff) that will kill you, you don't know the launguage - miles from another volunteer - not sure of what your projects actually are - oh and you don't have electricity or running water. And take your malaria pills tonite - they can cause wicked bad dreams.' :)

We did get to eat lunch with the Ambassitor of Suriname. She's amazing and totally not what I would have expected. In the sense that she's younger, laid back and easy to be around. I admire her, and am inspired by her stories. I look forward to getting to know more about her.

Summer Camp here in Lillydorp is about to end my friends. The realities of it all are starting to hit. As safey, health, bugs and creepy crawlies, tribal cultures...are being discussed now in more detail.

I'm heading for a beer....peace out-be good.

2 comments:

Kirstin said...

I'm loving your blog! You didn't tell me about it before you left. Now I don't miss you sooooo much. :o)

You must tell me how the beer is there. I have all kinds of strange images of skunky beer with bugs in it!

I don't know if anybody passed this link along to you, but here are the pics from your Bon Voyage party at Mother Hubbards:

http://picasaweb.google.com/KECraine/MariahSBonVoyageAKATheNightEveryoneWasFlippingTheBird

What a great night!

I won't make you cry anymore. Miss you - keep writing on the blog!

Ilya said...

First,

Kirstin should be a freaking model...every photo of her is fabulous.

Second, wow, that's a lot of people at SMS that I don't recognize.

Third, we're going to need some detail on the Moon Hut. I'm not sure why, but I'm fascinated. Are you going to need to stay in there, too, doing what to your "facie"?

Glad to hear you're going to have electricity at least a few hours a day, chica. You're going to have a blast, and I can't wait to hear all about it! :)

Miss you much--

Ilya