Monday, September 8, 2008

'I don't have'...no problem - you are my sister!

This weekend I learned a whole new side of Suriname and it sure has been an funfilled experience! Since I seem to have defaulted into a city girl here - I've made myself a handful of really nice friends to hang out with and you guys would love them!

I get the call Friday from Raul that it's his birthday and a cab is on the way to pick me up at my hotel. As I tried to explain to him that I don't have cash on me (that day I also walked around the whole city looking for an ATM that had money in it to despense. The end of the month and the end of the week...ala sani a na bum when it come to ATM withdrawels) he tells me it's a black waggie, the driver's name is Winston - and he know's where he's going. Completely ignoring my money concern. Yes, I compeletely trust this situation ...Hains is actually a policeman. These guys have become pretty much 'my guys' if you well....(Raul has informed me that 'Pink is the new Gansta'. And he's serious....everytime I see him, he's in pink.)

I arrive at my destination - Hains is outside - tells me 'this is no problem...you are my sister!' We have a crazy birthday celebration for Raul and Winston comes back to take me home that nite.

I get a call the next morning - 'what are you doing - we are fishing and bbqing' when can we pick you up...Witney is also with (she is my new girl partner in crime here...she's Hain's niece) We have all veggies for you and watermelon...you come eat. We know you don't cook. Someone is on the way now to pick you up. It's no problem...no problem.

These guys can COOK! Good stuff.

That nite the boys and I went OUT on the town....I crawled (as I've crawled many times in my life before) up the stairs to room number 8 and to bed at 4:30am. My guys continued on to 'one more place'. That nite I did learn to salsa, how to tell who is 'for sale' (prostitution is legal here) where the best food to eat at 3:00am in the city is....and how lucky I am for A/C and cold water the next day.

A bunch of my pcv friends came in last nite - sooo good to see all of them. Sharing stories and getting caught up with everyone. Jack's lost a ton of weight - but everyone is happy and in good spirits.

Tonite I think I may just decide to eat some fresh caught fish and go for a late nite swim.

When in Suriname.....

Muah!

No comments: